Monday, August 24, 2009

A Must Read


This last weekend, I had the opportunity to go to Houston, TX to see my little sissy la la and surprise my mom all in one trip. It was Kait's first 2 games of her senior season, and my mom of course made sure to be there. Well little did she know, that I would be there too! It was so fun to surprise my mom and I always love hearing her reactions, esp. when she isn't expecting something. I cam around the corner after my sister picked me up early from the airport, and what do you know? kip says, "what the hell are you doing here?" haha! Love you too mom! We then began our girls weekend by going grocery shopping for 2 hours for kait! Just what i was hoping to do on vacation! haha! We got sis all sorts of food, and I helped her know what she could make with all the goodies we bought (and i say we meaning Kipster of course). I then got the esteemed privilege of unloading all her groceries and organizing her pantry! What a treat! ;)

We then made our way over to Houston Baptist for their first game of the season...they got 5 min. in and then the game was canceled after waiting a lightning storm out for about an hour. This was hands down the COOLEST lightning storm I have ever witnessed in person! This picture does not even come close to the lightning I saw light up the Houston sky that night!




Kaitlin could not actually play due to an injury she suffered last week! Poor thing! She dislocated her patella and we are hoping and praying for a speedy but full 100% recovery ASAP! With the cancellation of the game that just meant we got to go to dinner sooner than expected! I was excited to try a new restaurant native to Houston!





We went to a restaurant called Lupe Tortilla. I honestly was starving at this point, so anything would have been great. BUT, this meal melted in my mouth. It was honestly the best Mexican meal I have ever had and probably will ever have. It was called the “Steak Lupe” It was skirt fajita steak marinated in their secret juices and topped with pico and melted cheese. YUMMY YUMMY IN MY FRIGGIN TUMMY! I couldn't stop rolling my eyes and exclaiming how divine this meal was! If I was ever to have a “last meal” this would be it!


The rest of the weekend was fun spending time together, laughing together and decorating Kait's cute room. She has such cute taste and so does her roommate Riley. Their apartment is adorable (even nicer than mine-slightly jealous). We got a fabulous pedicure before the weekend was through, and best of all I found 4 new cookbooks in a Half price book store in Houston! I literally almost bought 3 of the 4 the day before at target, but decided to wait(not really sure why...but now I am so glad!) I paid actually a third of what I would have paid at target for all of them. It made my weekend!


Now....the real reason for my blog post!!! While my mom and I were at target killing time while Kait was with the team, she bought me this book.




I decided I would read it on the flight home just to keep my mind off how badly I wanted to get home to see the hubster(first time away from him since we have been married) It was going to be a very long flight and I knew I needed something! I opened it up as soon as I sat down in my seat---which was actually not my seat and some chubby little boy decided he wanted the window. So I sat in between his mom and him---I should have asked for my seat but if any of you know me, I am non-confrontational...even with a 7 yr old chubby little boy! I just sat down and dove in to the book. My mom has already read it and said she loved it and at times couldn't put it down. Well now that makes 2 of us. I couldn't put the book down. I actually tried. I was so into the story but it was well past my bedtime and my eyes knew it. They were burning and practically screaming, just about as loud as the 3 yr old one seat to my right who decided the whole flight to scream, yell, cry, whale anything to be obnoxious for a constant 3 hours. She was hoarse by the end of the flight but that didn't stop her from shutting up. She carried on determined to make everyone around her as miserable as she apparently was. Anywho, about half way through the 300 pg. Book I was in need of some shut eye. Not sure how I actually thought I could sleep with all the shenanigans going on but I gave it a valiant effort. Despite being extremely tired, my mind would not stop thinking about this story and what was going on and what would happen next. I had to read more but the flight was also coming to an end. I got to about page 215 when I finally got to de-plane! I was so excited to drive home to the hunny bunny but again all the way home my mind wandered thinking about what I was reading. So I finished the book today at lunch. I couldn't wait any longer! The book had me hooked and wanting more. It sucked me into the characters and their lives and by the end of the book I chuckled to myself because I felt as if I had just read a friend's story. I felt as if I knew them. The book was such an easy read but so well worth my time! I think what I loved most of all is that the “narrator” of the story is a dog. I am so in love with my dogs that I have had while growing up. Each one of them with their different personalities, but each one of them with personalities and characteristics of a human being, a best friend. They know like no one else how to listen, and my mom and I always joke that if the dog could talk, there would be some stories to tell! (luckily for me in HS the dog couldn't say a word!) I identified with this “dog” so much it was almost funny. I felt as if my dog “Bud” had written a book. Not that the story was familiar to my family life, but I could relate to everything a dog sees when he is with his family! Long story short...I loved The Art of Racing in the Rain.


No comments:

Post a Comment