Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Bear's Birth Story 6-30-10


Here I am June 27, 2010. Plump! Waiting to meet our little one.
I have an appointment with the docs on Tuesday. I got my membranes
stripped to try and move things along. We had everyone in town.
Kait, Mom and Aunt Sharon were all here to meet our little bear.
I made my goal of making it to 40 weeks, so I was ready to meet bear as well.

I started to having contractions the night of the 29th, after we had my
membranes stripped. I was told by a lot of people not to get them
stripped because it just leaves you uncomfortable and achy but doesn't
bring the baby any faster. WRONG! This got bear on the move!
I started having contractions around 10 pm. Everyone went to bed,
and I did as well but I knew bear was coming. I tried to get some sleep,
but alas that did NOT happen. The contractions continued to get stronger.
I decided to go downstairs and watch some TV to try to take my mind off
of this new pain I was feeling. Finally I decided to go wake up my mom and sister
and have them time my contractions and see how I was progressing.
They were all over the place at first, but boy did that change quick!
I called the hospital to see how long I should wait before I come in. I did NOT
want to be sent home, so I wanted to make sure I labored as much
as possible at home. I finally decided I couldn't bear the pain anymore
without being monitored at the hospital. So we woke up Papa bear, and
got the hospital bag......

It's TIME!!

Gave Lucy girl a smooch goodbye, and told her we would be bringing her
a little brother or sister home soon.

One last fatty picture and off we went!! Don't mind the look.....
I was going for "how ugly can I make myself"
Plus it was 3:30 am!


I got hooked up immediately to the monitors to track my contractions.
They were SO intense and SO close together.
It is a feeling all on it's own, that you can't prepare for whatsoever!
I didn't know if I wanted to have an epidural, so they let me
progress all on my own. They monitored me for about an hour.
I had progressed from 1.5 to a 4. So I was here to stay! Yay!
I was so glad I didn't have to be sent home!

I was given some oxygen to keep my levels high and a big smooch from
the soon to be daddy! We were about to have a baby!


It was an early morning for everyone, but everyone was so supportive
and I loved having them there with me to root me on during labor.


Like I said earlier, I wasn't sure how I could handle pain, but I wanted
to wait as long as possible without an epidural. I wanted to try and go through it
all without one....so in our birthing class we used a ball to help with
the lower back pain and the contractions as they came. So we brought our
own, but it didn't get much use. As you can see Michael might have used it more
than me. I walked around as I progressed. I used the ball a little. But mostly
I was leaning over the bed and in bed trying to lay calm, relax and
get through the contractions. I did like the freedom that I had of being able
to get up when I wanted, since I had yet to have the drugs!

My contractions were SO intense and SO close together that it was
really hard for me to even be able to catch my breath. I was
progressing and I was progressing fast! I finally gave in, and asked for
the epi just so I could rest up to even have energy to push!
By the time I got the epi I had dilated to an 8! Michael and Kait said the needle
was HUGE that they put in your back, but the pain was NOTHING compared
to how the contractions felt. Those suckers don't mess around.
Luckily I had a FABULOUS nurse Deb, and she let me lean on her while
they gave me the epi, and soon I was a new woman! Those things are like
MAGIC! I got to catch my breath and even take a little cat nap since I have had
no sleep at this point since the night before! I knew I needed to rest up so that
I could push my little one out!

I was even able to smile again and pose for my last few pictures before the real work began!


Once you are at the hospital and hooked up you aren't allowed to eat or
drink anything but boy was I getting thirsty! So the ice chips were a necessity!


Nurse Deb was really a sweetheart and maybe even a lifesaver!
After I got the epi, the on call doctor and the new doctor that was about to arrive
both came in but at different times. The new doc came in after and said we
would wait a few minutes and then break my water so that I could progress
the last few cm I needed before we start to push. The on call doctor then came
in 2 minutes later (they must have missed the communication seminar that week)
and said we were going to break my water now. Nurse Deb advised him against that
seeming that my water just broke, and that we should give it a minute or 2.
Well he didn't listen to her, and broke it anyways. Well as soon as he left the room
bear's heartbeat was plummeting. Nurse Deb and another helper worked for
what seemed an eternity to get his heart rate back to normal.
They kept moving me from side to side to try to get it to come back.
I was starting to get really scared, and even Kip started to get teary eyed.
It is so scary to be so close to meeting your baby and have that almost taken away
from you from a Doctor who clearly wasn't thinking or keeping me or my baby's
best interest in mind! But Deb was amazing and never gave up on our bear.
Finally she got the heartbeat to regulate and we could all breath again with a big sigh of relief!

Go Nurse deb!

Shortly after I was fully dilated and it was time to start pushing! I couldn't believe how fast
this was all happening! We would be meeting our little surprise so soon!
Kait and Michael were a great team. Michael helped me count to 10 for each push,
and Kait held one of my HEAVY DEAD legs as I pushed.

Deb said let's get goin, so that's just what I did.
I gave it the ol' Heav Ho! The pushing part wasn't as hard as
I imagined, but I did get out of breath after the 3rd wave of pushes!
I think swimmers who are used to holding there breath must be
amazing at giving birth!

Kaitlin got a HUGE dose of visual Birth control :)

I pushed a little while longer, until it was time to call the doctor in....
The doctor that delivered bear was AMAZING. Love him :)

This is our last moment as a family of 2.

Dr. Melendez gettin' all up in my grill!

I am done pushing here, we can see bear's cute little (VERY blue) face....

...and... IT'S A BOY!!!

Unfortunately Michael was unable to cut the cord for bear. The cord was wrapped
so tightly around his neck, that the Dr. had to quickly cut it and rush him
to the station for them to work on him. He was out but we didn't get to hear him cry
right away, and he was SO blue that I didn't get to have him on my chest immediately
after delivering like I wanted to either. But that was ok, as long as
they worked on bear and got him to breath.


Again Deb to the rescue!

After what seemed to be another eternity, I finally heard that sweet little cry.
It was a BOY!! I was so shocked! I was crying. Michael was crying. My mom was crying.

It was the most incredible moment of my life that I will never forget.

Our big baby boy was here!
Brady Michael Bakken
6-30-10
8.2 lbs 19.5 in

He was so perfect and such a beautiful baby straight out of the womb!

We had an instant bond and connection.

I think Michael was so afraid to hold him, for fear he was going to break!

Look at that face!

Deb was so amazing through my whole birthing experience. I will
never forget what she did for me that day! Bless her heart!

I can't believe I am a MOM!

The proud Grandma Kip

Our sweet little BOY

Check out those huge feet and legs!
Mom fed him really well in the womb!

I love his little nose and big cheeks! Just like Daddy!


Just taking in the new outside world....

Dad, probably checking his boy parts just to make sure it
REALLY was a boy! ;)

Is he not so handsome??

a full head of beautiful dark hair

Auntie Kaitlin lovin' up on her new nephew!

Marci believe it or not was about 9 months preggo
here too...Don't you just hate skinny beautiful pregnant chicks?
I mean really....look at my picture at the beginning of this post haha
and then compare it to this one! Brady covers her friggin' belly that's
how tiny she is! Lucky Duck!

Bubba happened to be in town as well and came to see our new addition.

Brady & Michael bonding

Great Aunt Sharon was here to join in all our excitement of the day!

Jaime & Jason made the trek down to meet our little guy too!

We had so many of our friends and family with us on the best day of our life!
We were so blessed to have a healthy baby with all 10 fingers and all 10 toes.
I was instantly madly in love with this little boy.

He just melted my heart from day 1....

I never wanted to put him down in the hospital. I just wanted to hold him
and snuggle him and love him.

Same with Grandma! We were all so enamored with him and
all his cuteness!

Brady gettin' some Thulin love from his 2nd biggest fans!
(Mom and dad are of course his first)


Look at that cute little button nose!

Such a handsome little devil!




All in all I would have to say I had quite an easy pregnancy, and an easy birth.
There were a few complications at the end with the bonehead doctor, but we all came through it together. I have never loved anyone more than I love this little boy. It is amazing the unconditional love that instantly sets in. I would do anything for this little guy,
and can't think of any greater accomplishment I have made than him. To quote
Jerry McGuire "you complete me...i love you"
I have never felt more complete than I do with him in our home and in my arms.
I love my little bear more than life itself. I can't wait to watch him grow and explore
our world, and hopefully I will be able to teach him all the important stuff along the way!

I love you Brady Michael Bakken!

3 comments:

  1. OOOOOOOOOH my gosh I have chills and tears. Seriously. It means so much more when I know I will be going through this in a few weeks. yikes. I cannot believe how amazing it is though, and he is absolutely beautiful! What a perfect round head! congrats you guys! he is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke...I just wanted to tell you how adorable your little guy is! I hope you and your cute little family are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great pictures. Kip did a great job!! I love that you can see the whole story. And my pic of holding the baby is pretty classic!! It is tuff to cuddle/hold a newborn when your own belly is blocking the way. It does look a little awkward. haha

    ReplyDelete