Tuesday, April 27, 2010

In for a Rough Ride

Look at this poor guy.
He looks so happy.
Not a care in the world. It's summer time.
We are at a concert.
Out with a Major babe....how could life get any better?
Little does he know life is about to change.
He doesn't even know what is about to hit him.
He might as well be a dear in headlights!
But here for a moment, he is happy and ignorance is bliss :)


He has no idea that after we get married,
and I mean SHORTLY after we are married,
we will be parents. What???
How can that be? Well folks, this guy
knocked up his wife... and I can assure you
He is not ready for what is in here.
Bless his heart,
He is a complete rookie.

We are havin' one of these (no I still don't know boy or girl...just love this lil one)
Note: I am not giving birth to a 5 year old, like my husband seems to think.
I know I am by no means "ready" to be a momma bear, BUT I think
I might be a few steps ahead of Poppa Bear. I will let you be the judge....


Last night, both Michael and I were laying in bed, talking and watching TV
(even though NOTHING was on), so mostly just chat chitting
(ya that's right I switched them around...words don't own us)
and my sweet lil' hubby asks me this:
Michael: "So when the baby is here do we like have to put it to bed and stuff?"
Me: Long pause...(thinking in my head...did I hear that right? Is he serious?
he has to mean something else...maybe i didn't understand his question...)
"um....ya who else is gonna do it?"
Michael: "well, when do we put them to bed?"
Me: "They sleep all the time. That's all they do when they get here. Eat. Poop. Cry. Sleep."
Michael: "well that sucks for you...you are gonna have to get up a lot I guess"
Then he rolled over and started to fall asleep and snore :)
I laid there mostly is shock about what just happened.
Is this guy for real? He kept a straight face the entire time, so I don't think
he was kidding or playing a joke. I think that was a sincere question.
Oh SNAPS! I am in for a rough ride!
Now, in his defense, all I can say is that Michael is basically an only child.
He has not been around kids, let alone infants. I haven't been around
either too much myself, but I do understand that while they
don't come with an instruction manual,
I do not expect my newborn to let me know when the appropriate
bedtime for him/her will be. I am excited for this little one to come, but
now I realize Michael and I will have quite the learning curve on how to
be parents! It will no doubt come with frustration, lack of sleep,
but I am sure there will be tons of fun, funny stories in the future!

Husband, I love you. I love all your funny questions about

our baby. I know you will be an amazing father, but I promise you I am
not giving birth to a 5 year old, like we watch on Super Nanny.
We have to take care of our little bear, so that bear can grow up
to one day tell us they don't want to go to bed. Bear will no doubt plead and
beg one day to stay up like a big boy/girl just like mommy and daddy.
But for now, we (yes WE) get to watch our little one eat, sleep and poop
for the first little while. So while you enjoy your last 2 months of
"peace and quiet" just remember, when bear gets here we will be the ones
that put bear to bed, and get up with bear in the middle of the night,
and then put bear back to bed as well :)
Welcome to the life you have always dreamed of: Parenthood :)

3 comments:

  1. hahaha he is in for a rude awakening! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two words babe..."Baby Wise." Get the book! I didn't do it 100% but the feeding schedule to get them in sync and putting them down awake and not feeding to sleep...MONEY! I started the every 3 hours thing from the moment my last two were born, should have read it on my first, and it totally works! You will still get up in the night but not a lot. Another great book "Happiest Baby on the Block." It's time for Michael to do some reading! Something else happens when he watches you go through the labor experience and he sees that baby for the first time, they totally change! Steve totally changed from the moment Emma came out. I think I could have gotten a new car out of him!! I am seriously SO excited for you guys!! When I get some furniture and some boxes from the moving van one of these days you will have to come over, bring Michael, I have kids in varying ages!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe...what a cute post...you guys are definitely in for a treat..lol. But what a blessing..Love you both!

    ReplyDelete